Posted to uk.d-i-y
Windmill[_3_] Windmill[_3_] is offline

Default If Scotland gets independence

The Natural Philosopher writes:

brass monkey wrote:
"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Rod Speed
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
Do we have to rename the newsgroup?
On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for
suggestions as to what the UK should be called if Scotland got
independence. Best answer was Scot Free.
Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them
yebbut we could close the borders right?
Wrong. The EU doesnt allow that.

They'd have to leave the EU too before you could do that and I doubt even
the most rabid hairly legged barbarian in a dress is actually THAT stupid.

AIUI an independent Scotland would have to re-apply for membership of the
Eu, assuming they wished to join, and it is a non-negotiable condition for
new members that they join the euro.

They would then be subject to fiscal control by Brussels - and do you
think that lot will be able to keep their grubby little hands off the oil
revenues.
If I were Shetland I'd start an Independence from Scotland move right now.

Yes, I think Salmond thinks he's Hitler #2, he needs knocking down a few
pegs.

He can have Scotland as long as england is scot free.

And we don't pay a cent over market rate for all his fantasy 'renewable
energy'.

SCOTLAND can pay its FITS and ROCsd but we wont be required to
underwrite the subsidy.

But we're currently paying in part for London's Olympics, which will
make a profit for London as a result of the tourism, but will do little
or nothing for Scotland.
Not that that's an argument for independence. It's a complicated
business, and all in all I think every part of the UK would be a little
poorer if any part left.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m