Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Planer question

"Ralph Compton" wrote in message
m...
Got a Ridgid 13" planer last year, haven't used it much but, dang, it sure
is noisy. Today I was planing some 1x10x30 pine boards, trying to get
them kinda flat so as to make some simple trivets for campouts. Planed
the boards with the cup side facing down. Taking off a very little.

But, watching the dust going into the DC, I'm really not cutting much and
by lowering the cutting head more it seems like all I'm doing is making
more noise, hardly any more sawdust. So much noise I don't want to do
this outdoors for the possiblility of annoying all my closest neighbors.

I've watched some utube videos, and it looks like I'm doing everything
right, but I feel I'm doing something wrong. Surely my blades aren't
this hopelessly dull by now?

I did clean my blades to remove some built-up residue from previous
planing.

I'm contenplating taking my planer down to the Ridgid shop for a
look-over, after all, it's free, but I don't want to look entirely stupid.

It seems to me that the blades might be bouncing the board because of the
cupping. The worst board, cupping-wise, has about 1/8 inch in the middle
of the 10" width.

Ralph

A few thoughts...

Can you see if the "cut area" is wider with each pass? If so the additional
noise is most likely due to the wider cut as more wood is being removed...

Another possibility is that because you didn't face joint the board first
the feed rollers may be straining to flatten the board out as it's passing
through.

Did you clean the blades before or after this problem came up?

It would sure be easier to diagnosis in person!