Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison Phil Addison is offline

Default Canon XL1 camcorder - tape won't eject

Just bought this on ebay, opened tape door and mechanism whirled and
opened up the inner slot ready for a tape. I put in a tape with its
write-protect switch set to see if would playback, and pushed the inner
mechanism shut. Switched on and silence! it now seems almost dead. All
that happens is the viewfinder lights up blue, and the red 'on' light
comes on (not flashing) when switched to any of the 'on' positions.
Nothing else works. There doesn't seem to be a manual eject hole as on
some camcorders.

The guy offered to refund me but I'd rather get it going, and need to
get my tape out anyway before returning it. Has anyone taken one of
these beasts to bits or got a maintenance manual?

Phil