Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default If Scotland gets independence

hugh wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for suggestions as to what the UK should be called if
Scotland got independence. Best answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

yebbut we could close the borders right?

Wrong. The EU doesnt allow that.

They'd have to leave the EU too before you could do that and I doubt even the most rabid hairly legged barbarian in a
dress is actually THAT stupid.

AIUI an independent Scotland would have to re-apply for membership of the Eu,

Fraid not.

assuming they wished to join, and it is a non-negotiable
condition for new members that they join the euro.

They may well want to do that anyway. The reason
Britain didnt wouldnt apply to an independant Scotland.

They would then be subject to fiscal control by Brussels

Fraid not.

- and do you think that lot will be able to keep their grubby little hands off the oil revenues.

Fiscal control has nothing to do with getting their hand on any
revenues, its just about what sort of deficits you are allowed to run.

If I were Shetland I'd start an Independence from Scotland move right now.

Taint gunna happen.