Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Phillips wins "L(ight bulb) Prize"

harry wrote:

Well you can buy American or you can buy Chinese.
Patriotic Americans wil buy American and support American jobs.

Republicans will buy Chinese and sell America down the river.
Which has been the problem for the last ten or fifteen years.
Support child/slave labour in China and fall in with the Chinese plot
to destroy America..
Selfish greedy *******s can't see beyond the end of their noses.

Silly idea. Your idea, taken to its logical conclusion, means that one
should buy only those things produced by one's neighbors on the same block.

I remind you, once again, you should study one of your countryman's
contribution to economics: "An Inquiry Into the Wealth of Nations," by Adam
Smith. In a nutshell, he said a country should produce what it can produce
best and most cheaply, then trade with other nations. To be self-sufficient
in all things is a fool's errand and guaranteed to produce ruination.

If I give you five dollars for a tool, it's because I have more dollars than
tools. You accept the trade because you have more tools than dollars. We
both leave the transaction wealthier than before we entered into it.

The same for nations.

We sell a Boeing 737 to Japan Airways because their dollars are worth more
to us than the airplane. Likewise, to the Japs, the airplane is worth more
than the dollars used to buy it. Both nations are wealthier as a result.