Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default (S)ES lamps

What happened to those clever bc lights with three pins slightly offset so
the connections could only go in one way around. Rad bulbs for fire effects
tended to use them.
Brian

Email:

"Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.wayabpd9gtk8fg@admin-pc...
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 08:51:06 -0000, Fred
wrote:

Hi,

Just a little rant! Why do all table lamps now seem to come with SES
or ES fittings? Don't the shops realise we use BC fittings here in the
UK?

I'm sure until a few years ago everything was BC and screw types were
exotic and strange things. Now (in my experience at least, YMMV, etc)
it seems impossible to find a bathroom light that does not have an ES
fitting and many of the outdoor lamps seem to be ES too.

Is it a ploy to make us buy three times as many light bulbs? I seem to
need to keep BC bulbs for ceiling lights, SES bulbs for table lamps,
and ES the bathroom and outdoor lights.

TIA

Probably economics of scale so they can sell them across more countries
with one fitting. I remember cheap bulkhead lights being sold with screw
fittings a very long time ago.

Not sure of safety of changing bulbs in permanently wired screw lights
because of the possible risk of the outer being live because the neutral
is switched. I see that convertors are available both ways between BC and
ES. If you convert a BC socket to take an ES bulb there is a 50% chance of
the outer being live when turned on. Seems slightly risky to me.