Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default destroying data CDs?

In article , Adam Funk
writes
On 2012-03-08, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

microwaving doesn't make a smel. It simply destroys the metallized layer
beyond all home of reading.

How much would burning a pile of these (let's say an A4 copy paper box
full) outdoors stink up & irritate the neighbourhood?

don't burn them MICROWAVE them

Full power 10 seconds and then stick it back in the CD drive and try and
read it

Maybe NCIS can read it, but no one in the real world

OK, I haven't tried it yet, so I wondered if it might heat the plastic
up.

It takes only a second in the microwave but in my experience it does
stink in the worst possible way, it may depend on whether the metalised
surface is bare, printable or commercially printed.

These days I snip across the data area with a pair of tinsnips, the
finely serrated edge types. One snip should make a disk unreadable as it
will distort the disk and break every track, and trying to read the disk
would tear the optics of the drive to pieces. Two snips, one opposite
the other, makes it more secure and easy to fold over and break if
desired. Half the time the disk delaminates too making it totally
un-un-unreadable.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .