Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Screwdriver with neon electricity tester

On 10/03/2012 01:47, Bill Wright wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:58:49 -0000, "Road_Hog"
wrote:

Was in Morrisons today and they had these on the end of aisle display
(where they have bits of hardwear). Only 87p, not on special, just
marked up as 87p.Not bad if you need a mains tester.

Nasty dangerous things. Avoid.

Bill

As a non electrician I would have thought it could add another bit of
safety. Even to change a socket I have to put the mains ring off then
check the socket is not live then I panick and put the complete mains
off then usually get my wife to double check and at that I still try and
avoid touching a wire while changing it.
But with one of the neon testers then if it lights before switching off
then doesnt light after switching off surely adds another safety zone.

But would be interested in the whats `nasty & dangerous` part.