Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Lesher David Lesher is offline

Default NorCal vibraplow

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)" writes:

The problem with plows is it's Real Easy to slice up power lines,
phone lines, sprinkler mains, Fiber Optics CATV, and all sorts of
stuff.

And a trencher is even better at same..... And a backhoe, with
a 1^3 bucket & 27' reach. It's not the equipment; it's the nut
behind the panel.

You are supposed to get a USA Lookup done and have all the local
utility companies come out and mark all the utility lines, but the
Utilities themselves often don't know where everything is - Old maps
were often wrong.

We get such done. There is nothing to find, the property has
been in the neighbor's family since 1896. But we CYA as you
should. I was in the pipeline business; when the dozer hits a
750psi LNG line, there's not much left to bury.

They'll mark a lot of things "Hand Dig Here" and you dig an
empty hole, then you find their line the hard way 50 feet over
- and even if it's unmarked they'll still try to ding you for
hitting it.

Bull. If you play the game, and get the location; it's their
ass; it's the law in most states. That happened in front of my
own house; they mislabeled the 6" water main and the pole setter
hit it.

If the local utility likes to plow in their 15KV Medium Voltage supply
lines direct buried in the same flimsy polyethylene ducting, you don't
want to be messing with a plow Anywhere Near There. Unless you're
trying to make your life insurance pay off...

I know where every piece of HV duct is, because I put it in last summer.
And there's no cable in it so far; PG&E wants a mere $46K to do *that*.

And the soils have to be right - a lot of rocks and a plow is useless.

This is pure loam. The only "rocks" to be found are the gravel
that came from the driveway. {Granted, that's a mile of
driveway...}

Now the roots.... that is another story altogether.

--
A host is a host from coast to