Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph Compton Ralph Compton is offline

Default Roadkill question

Not legal in California. Even if it were deer season, and you had a tag for
the zone where you hit the deer, striking the deer with a motor vehicle is
not a legal method of take. If you hit one, leave it lay, otherwise it's
poaching. Dumb? Maybe. But that's life in California.

That said, I know that some folks, where there are lots of road killed deer,
are very adept at field dressing a deer and can get it back home and in the
fridge pretty quick. And I suspect this goes on a lot more often than
anyone knows. And I also suspect the folks who do this are pretty good
about determining what meat is quickly and easily salvageable. Personally,
nah. Not for me.

"Michael" wrote in message
Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be tempted to
take it home and butcher it?

Mike