JonH

Default Loft insulation

snip

I've got a jigsaw which I expect I could use to cut down these sheets
(probably using a bar to aid as a straight edge). The other option I have
is to invest in a circular saw - though I'd prefer to keep costs as low as
possible. Do you think a jigsaw would be up to it?

I've done a couple, one where the joist spacing matched the board length
( i.e. a fairly new property )
and another on an older ( approx. 35 yrs old ) property where the joist
spacing was incompatible.

In both cases many boards needed cutting to fit round fittings, e.g.
chimneys, water tanks etc.

I used a jigsaw for all the cuts and found it perfectly adequate to cope,
but get a couple of *good* blades.

Another point worth mentioning is that cutting the boards with a jigsaw
makes a large amount of dust.
A solution is to mark them up a few at a time and then take them outside or
into a workshop to cut,
either that or get a good mask for protection and be prepared to suffer a
berating from the misses for all the dust that blows out the hatch into the
landing or bedroom underneath.