Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default CLR Stain on Marble vanity top

" wrote in news:9e6bdd0f-bacc-4718-
:

Hi,

Just when our bathroom renovation was almost done.....

One of the workers was trying to get out these little marks in the new
sink (wish I hadn't made such a fuss about those now) and he saw a
container of CLR in our basement and decided to use it to try and get
the marks out of the sink. In doing this he put the container on the
marble vanity top.

So the next day I saw these marks that match the bottom of the clr
container on the vanity top. They are deep enough that the clear coat
on the marble has been eaten away but not really very deep. Doesn't
look good though and of course I want it fixed.

I had one guy out to look at it and he gave me a price of $450 to
refinish the entire top. The top only cost $500 so that seems pretty
expensive to me. That guy also told me the entire top had etching
marks on it which really isn't true so I don't feel comfortable using
him.

I was hoping to get it done for about $200.

Shouldn't it be possible to just have someone in to repair the spot
that has the marks on it? It is only on one side of the vanity top.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

CLR according to the MSDS is an "Aqueous Acidic Cleaner". Since marble
is calcium carbonate, anything acidic would start to dissolve it
immediately. You can test this for yourself by crushing some marble to
increase the surface area, then put it in a container with some vinegar.
CO2 bubble will start to form.

It isn't smart to use such cleaners on marble, which really is a rather
easily damaged material. Of course, if the marble is kept immaculate and
sealed with a protective coating, it does look beautiful. Too bad those
conditions are a definite must.

A previous counter/sink we had was Corian. Also a material with some
problems. Even granite has problems if not kept sealed. IMNSHO, a
synthetic containing quartz (such as Silestone) is the best material for
ease of upkeep. Quartz is silica which has much better resistance than
the other materials. While granite is also basically quartz, it has a
tendency for minute cracks, which accumulate dirt etc.

--
Best regards
Han