Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default White "fungus" around a ni-cad

"N_Cook" wrote in :

What exactly is it and what , if any, damage does it do to anything
adjascent/ same box.
Thurlby DSA524, digital scope adaptor From 1987 . Nickel dendrites
like Tin whiskers ?
Went to use it for the first time in 5 years and no response to any
input, was ok previous use. A vaguely staircase output on an analogue
scope , but thats about all. Composite and trigger out work as do some
anunciator readouts. So presumably ROM, RAM, PS, Clock are ok. So is
it realistic to suspect the A-D a Ferranti ZN449. ? One of those
"better than nothing" service manuals is out there but thats about all
This happens to be right next to one of those pcb soldered oval shape
blue cased nicads of that era, before EEPROMs came in.

It is potassium hydroxide electrolyte, and it is very corrosive. Put on
rubber gloves, and carefully wash the affected area with water. Follow
up with vinegar to neutralize what's left, and then rinse with water
again.

I once had to clean up an old (really old, it had miniature vacuum tubes
in it) H23BAM police radio with NiCd wet cells. I skipped the rubber
gloves, and despite being careful, I had no finger prints when I was
done. The residue etched the ridges right off.

Doug White