Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Movie, "Red Tails"

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've recently seen a movie, entitled Red Tails. About the Negro
air men who fought over Italy.

What makes me wonder. The fighters and the bombers did
not appear to be able to talk with each other on the two way
radios. I'm curious what kind of radios they had. Tube sets? Was
that before transistors?

WW-II ended in 1945. The transistor was invented in the lab in 1948.
So, clearly, all radio and other electronic gear in WW-II and Korea
were vacuum tube. Transistor gear started coming in in really pressing
applications in the mid 1950's.
Would the fighters and bombers be on
different frequencies?

Maybe, but the radios used then all covered the same bands, and many
were completely tunable, rather than having a fixed set of crystals.

Jon