Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Idle fun for net hackers..

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:

Yes, I don't think there's much BIOS interaction once a modern OS has
booted, but the point is that BIOS code *is* run at system startup ...

Only if you have a machine with a BIOS.

I am not sure how you bootstrap an OS without a modicum of BIOS or at
least a ROM based boot loader.

Unless the whole machine runs out of ROM..

Just wandering idly by after a holiday break.
Just wondered (reading all this stuff) if something was inserted into RAM at
boot time, ran memory resident, and kept an area of SWAP for any data
storage, how detectable would it be in the log files?
Or even if it used raw access to the disc to use any spare, unformatted
areas or suchlike?
Certainly wouldn't show up on any checksum of the filestore.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)