Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default If Scotland gets independence

Owain wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for
suggestions as to what the UK should be called if Scotland got
independence. Best answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

yebbut we could close the borders right?

Wrong. The EU doesnt allow that.

They'd have to leave the EU too before you could do that and I doubt even
the most rabid hairly legged barbarian in a dress is actually THAT stupid.

No guarantee that Scotland would be *in* the EU,

Yes, but its very unlikely to not be. Given their economic situation,
it would be much more likely that they would stay in the EU and
bludge off the EU as much as they could like Ireland does.

especially if it had to join the Euro.

There is no 'had to'. And the reasons that Britain chose not to
dont necessarily apply to them, so they may choose to anyway.

Even if it was in the EU it might or might not be in Schengen.

Schengen is gone now.

Fortunately the Scottish Government (which does not
actually have any lawful devolved powers in this matter)

It would do if they have left tho.

is making the proposals completely clear and understandable
to the electorate (which may or may not include children).

I expect there'll be some form of tax treaty on
whisky heading south and Buckfast heading north ...

Irrelevant to whether Scot Free is actually feasible.

When Britain cant even work out how to get rid of most of the illegals already
in the country, they'd have buckleys of getting rid of all the Scots already in
the country, particularly the ones who dont agree with Scotland leaving.