Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default destroying data CDs?

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2012-03-09, Steve Firth wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

On 2012-03-08, Steve Firth wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[Burning CDs]

The smell is pretty bad though - need to open the window.
The dye used is pthalocyanine some of it will be released as cyanide by
burning. Not advised in a confined space such as a kitchen.
I thought I'd heard something like that, hence my question. However,
I guess this isn't a problem with the quick blast in the microwave?

I wouldn't think the microwave would be a problem. I use a cross-cutting
shredder for cds, it's less of problem than any other disposal method.
However I think the shredder cost around £700 so it's not a home use
option.

Yes, way out of my budget.

In the past the technique used was a propane torch and a firebrick
hearth to melt down CDs and Hard Disk platters.

With a good way to clear the cyanide & other fumes, I hope.

I'll test the microwave idea sometime soon.

10 seconds only for a music CD.

Unless you enjoy watching the sparks..

and how hard it is to achieve it.