Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: computer question

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 22:49:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 07:16:34 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

UPS regs say they can drop a package 15' onto a hard, concrete floor.
I've seen it happen. Conveyor systems are elevated in all UPS and
FedEX processing plants. It sounds like more than that happened to
Naily's unit.

How did you come up with that conclusion?

When I wanted to ship something via UPS eons ago, it was written in
their guidelines for packaging. And it's likely that Robert wasn't
reacting to a simple ding on one end of the package. Most of us see
and accept dinged packages, but we hold the deliveryman if there is
more than just a wrinkle, making sure he either notes the damage in
his recorder before he leaves or watches us open the package. Most
people don't react like that or ask for assistance on a minor crease
in a the cardboard box, knowwhatImean,Vern?

It is also possible than it
was not dropped at all, but the protective packaging material was
crushed when something was placed or dropped on it and inflicted no
damage.

Yes, that is a possibility. Not having seen the package, I couldn't
say. I added the possibility of a twist to the scenario, too.

FWIW, I've been in the protective packaging industry for the past 42
years so I've seen lots of different scenarios.

http://images.fedex.com/us/services/...nder150Lbs.pdf
http://www.theswisscolony.net/docume...-01-08_000.pdf

Then you should know that the test procedures are not actually
representative of what can happen in the real world. Ideally, the
foam packaging absorbs almost all of the impact, but a 15' fall onto a
single corner just might overstress the packaging. I wonder if Robert
has pics...

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer