Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default German language help?

On 3/8/2012 11:06 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Ed wrote in
:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:13:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

So I'd believe that their equipment is designed to "put" stuff... lift
it, move it, place it...

LLoyd

Aha! That would make sense. Their primary product is concrete pumps.

It would make more sense if it were correct.

If what were correct - their main product is concrete pumps? It is.
From their web page, at http://www.putzmeister.com/enu/index.htm:

"Concrete, mortar, solids pumps, underground concreting"

Also:

Putzmeister develops, produces, sells and serves its customers
worldwide with technically high-quality and service-oriented
machines in the following areas: Placing of concrete, Truck-
mounted concrete pumps, Stationary concrete pumps, Stationary
placing booms and accessories, industrial technology, pipe
delivery of industrial solids, concrete placement and removal of
excavated material in tunnels and underground, Robot and materials
handling technology, Mortar machines, Plastering machines, Screed
conveying, Injection and special applications.

And it's a big relief. I was afraid they were "masters of idiots."g

I'm afraid your understanding of its meaning isn't correct either. "Putz", as a noun, in German
means a small child; it can also mean dirty clothes (see a connection there?). In Yiddish, it's
vulgar slang for "penis".