Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Rockwell 6" bench grinder - anti-rotation pins

In article ,
"Wild_Bill" wrote:

A+, good conclusion Joe.. why all the mystery? heheh

Because most modern grinders omit the anti-rotation feature.

I wonder if Baldor grinders have anti-rotation or not.

I think you meant to state 1/3 HP rating in the OP.. so it's likely to stall
before crushing the grinding wheels, me thinks.
(however, 1/3 HP is much more powerful than today's 3/4+ HP "ratings")

I think I did mention that it's 1/3 HP. Maybe they had bigger ponys
back then.

Anyway, we have a conculsion: The anti-rotation feature will be
retained, or improved. The alternatives are the through-pin and the
woodruff key.

Joe Gwinn

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Wild_Bill" wrote:

I agree.. searching for the actual purpose/intent of a short-lived
decades
old design feature could result in a huge waste of time.

We'll await the day when someone poses the question: Who was asking about
pins in the bench grinder shaft arbors, because..

All we might do at this point is speculate.. and someone probably nailed
it,
as there are always good ideas found here, IMO.

Actually, speaking of speculation, it occurs to me that the worn-down
stones may be the clue: Maybe a user was leaning into the wheels to
grind faster, and what was carrying the resulting torque was the inner
flanges and roll pins. As I recall, the arbor nuts were snug but not
overly tight. If the wheel was able to rotate on the shaft under such
heavy use, the nuts would have become very tight, perhaps too tight.

Joe Gwinn

WB

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Wild_Bill" wrote:

[snip]

I've also seen wheels with significant gouges in them, so if an
accidental
jam on one side caused the motor's rotor to stop, it's possible the
other
wheel could continue to rotate, but that's still not likely to unscrew
the nut from the arbor threads.

This could be - Bubba at work. But I don't see any other evidence.
The
wheels are quite worn, one 6" stone being worn to maybe 4", but no big
gouges in stone or metal.

Joe Gwinn