Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default What's this sort of circlip called - and where to get some?

On Mar 8, 11:43*am, wrote:
I'm after a replacement retaining clip which sits on the output shaft
of an electric motor and retains a shear pin.

The shear pin simply sits in a hole through the shaft, then around the
shaft is a semicircular depression in which the retaining clip sits.
Thus the retaining clip is a simple (split) toroid which sits in the
groove.

It's from a Vetus bow propeller and their price is £13.40 which seems
a little excessive for a trivial little spring clip.

Can anyone suggest what such a thing is called (maybe just a retaining
clip I suppose) and where I might find somewhere that I can buy one by
specifying its size?

--
Chris Green

Probably stainless steel which complicates getting hold of one at a
reasonable price. The correct name helps though. You might get a
model engineer to make one up.
Half hour job on the lathe.

There's some pictures here. Various sorts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retaining_ring