Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default For Trade .020 x 7" 2% tungsten

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 08:45:57 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 3/6/2012 1:28 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive had some intererst in welding beer cans together.....G

Post a pic if you pull it off. I've been the best TIG welder at most
shops I've worked at, and I can't butt weld two beer cans together.
Interestingly, nearly every place I've ever worked, someone has walked
in the door looking for a job claiming they can. Not a one has ever
produced such an example of welding skill, nor have the ones hired, been
willing to demonstrate.

Damn sure, if I could butt weld two beer cans together, I'd be bringing
a sample to the interview!

Jon

I worked with a guy that could weld aluminum coke cans. He mentioned
it one day and I said the same thing that you did, so he showed me.
You need a machine that can be accurately controlled to very low
currents. you need filler rod that is about the same thickness as the
can, he used narrow pieces cut from another can. You also need a
really close fitted, or overlapped joint. Grind and polish a very long
taper on the electrode and start the arc on a piece of thicker
aluminum, or copper, then move to the can. He didn't weld the entire
circumference but he did weld a half, three-quarters, of an inch.
enough to prove he could do it.
(I have never tried it myself though :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.