Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PICTU What Size is This Ball Screw Likely to Be

On 2012-03-06, Jon Elson wrote:

[ ... ]

Yikes, looks like it is a very fine pitch. Well, the only thing that
matters is the diameter and pitch. Your 6x1 makes me think
6 mm dia and 1 mm pitch.

Which is a finer pitch than that used on the Compact-5/CNC, and
which is otherwise a similar length. I think that the Compact-5 uses
one of 8mm diameter, but I've never actually needed to measure it.

I have actually seen some like
that listed on eBay, so you ought to just search there and
see what comes up. The real problem is they are rarely made very
long as whip and stiffness become problems.

[ ... ]

I am in the process of fitting this screw as a lead on the Z axis of a
mini
mill. (Smaller than my Taig).

Ouch! Even smaller than a Taig, that leadscrew sounds too
small for the task.

It originally had 1/4" V-grooves with pinch sleeve nuts. I changed it to
1/4" Acme with acetal anti-backlash nuts. The V-groove had pretty poor
accuracy. The acme was very accurate, but the nuts flexed. I think the
ballscrew will be better than either.