Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_5_] Sjouke Burry[_5_] is offline

Default More Avast Woes ... ?

"Robbie Hatley" wrote in
:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
I've just got back from a vacation, during which time this machine
has been on, so presumably updating as normal, and now I've got
problems with my email connection, and again, it seems to be Avast!
related. Remember all the problems a few weeks back with it screwing
up NNTP server connections causing all manner of bizarre problems
with only single newsgroup message bodies displaying ? I don't think
it was ever fully gotten to the bottom of, as Avast! tech support
didn't seem to understand what usenet was. I still have the NNTP
shield switched off. Now, every time I try to send an email using
T-Bird, I get strange messages about servers giving incorrect
greetings and so on, and the mail refuses to fly. However, if you
temporarily switch off the Avast! shields, everything works normally
again. I have restarted both the programs, and the whole machine, but
the problem persists.

Anyone else having similar probs ?

Avast uses port forwarding for all SSL accounts, because it does it's
own SSL. So if you have any SSL accounts (either POP3, or SMTP, or
IMAP, or NNTP) you need to do the following:
1. Set the accounts to non-SSL in your client programs.
2. Check that client and Avast are using same non-SSL port.
3. Setup SSL accounts in Avast using correct SSL ports.
You'll have to do some digging to find where those settings are in
Avast.

Or, uninstall Avast and use AVG or Avira or Microsoft Security
Essentials or any of the other good antivirus products (free and
non-free) that are out there. Most of those don't do their own SSL, so
you won't have that problem.

I use AVAST, however only file read/write protection
is enabled(choosen during install).
The same would go for AVG, they are a pain in the **** ,
and file read/write protection should get them all(most).
I think most anti virus/malware protection cripples your
computer, if you use default install.