Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robbie Hatley Robbie Hatley is offline

Default More Avast Woes ... ?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...
I've just got back from a vacation, during which time this machine has been on, so presumably updating as normal, and
now I've got problems with my email connection, and again, it seems to be Avast! related. Remember all the problems a
few weeks back with it screwing up NNTP server connections causing all manner of bizarre problems with only single
newsgroup message bodies displaying ? I don't think it was ever fully gotten to the bottom of, as Avast! tech support
didn't seem to understand what usenet was. I still have the NNTP shield switched off. Now, every time I try to send an
email using T-Bird, I get strange messages about servers giving incorrect greetings and so on, and the mail refuses to
fly. However, if you temporarily switch off the Avast! shields, everything works normally again. I have restarted both
the programs, and the whole machine, but the problem persists.

Anyone else having similar probs ?

Avast uses port forwarding for all SSL accounts, because it does it's own SSL.
So if you have any SSL accounts (either POP3, or SMTP, or IMAP, or NNTP)
you need to do the following:
1. Set the accounts to non-SSL in your client programs.
2. Check that client and Avast are using same non-SSL port.
3. Setup SSL accounts in Avast using correct SSL ports.
You'll have to do some digging to find where those settings are in Avast.

Or, uninstall Avast and use AVG or Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials or
any of the other good antivirus products (free and non-free) that are out there.
Most of those don't do their own SSL, so you won't have that problem.

--
Cheers,
Robbie Hatley