Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Heater INSIDE thermostat?

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

I've seen some very good stiff from China, it's not all cheap ****e.

Oops.... STUFF....

Yeah, I buy most of the electronics I buy from there.

Not just electronics either. I bought some nail clippers for quite literally 1c, including postage which looked
exactly like what I had lost.

They did turn out to be identical but the jaws didnt close properly,
didnt close squarely, so were useless. I told him that by email,
expected to be ignored because I had paid 1c but it didnt cost
anything to email him. He sent me another for free, and it was
perfect.

I broke a pair of cheap snips (for wires), but I was cutting a piece
of plastic - a bit on the side of a plastic backbox for some switch
or other. The plastic was stronger than the steel (or whatever
crappy metal it was) jaws, and one of the jaws snapped and pinged
with considerable force across the room, after bouncing off my
finger. I wondered what the **** had hit me!

I've bought lots of electronics that haven't turned up after a month,
then they give me my money back, then it turns up another month
later. How can "airmail" take 2 months? A plane simply couldn't fly
that slowly, it's against the laws of physics!

Yeah, something odd with airmail from china.

At one time I would often get it in a couple of days, but lately it takes weeks.

And they mostly say it will take weeks on the ebay page too.

It does bother me when its 4C colder than I prefer.

Why not set your room temperature so that you aren't near the
minimum of your comfort zone?

There is no such thing. The temp I require varys with
what I am wearing and what I am doing etc etc etc.

Oh my god..... your life must be really complicated.

Nope.

Well I have to change my clothes twice a day only. When I get up and when I go to bed.

Thats all I normally do too.

Can you program your stat to change temp depending on what clothing you're wearing?

I do it the other way, I wear what suits what its programmed to temp wise.

Well I have to change my clothes twice a day only. When I get up and when I go to bed!!

Thats all I normally do too.

You could fit radio tags in everything....

Easier to wear what suits what its programmed to.

Well I have to change my clothes twice a day only. When I get up and when I go to bed!!!!

Thats all I normally do too.

Like people buy a car that can go 150mph when they never go over the speed limit.

I doubt too many buy the car based on the top speed it can do.

Yes they do. And brag about it.

Cant say I have ever had that, even with stupid kids.

Then you ask how fast they've ACTUALLY driven.

I always insist on flooring it on a test drive

I dont even bother with a test drive at all.

I bought the Getz after checking the basics online, ringing
the Hyundai dealers in my state capital, rubbing the local
dealer's nose in the best price I could find, had him claim
that he has to pay a higher delivery charge than they do,
agreed to pay the higher delivery charge, and told him
to ring me when the car was ready to pick up.

The dealer principle was quite literally speachless when
I told him that I hadnt even bothered with a test drive,
and II put it on my card too, paying cash for a new car.

- it's the best way to find the problems with it before you buy.

Dont have that problem with a new car and since I used the
last one for 35+ years and couldnt keep using it due to my
stupidity, there isnt any point in farting around with used cars.

And fun to scare the previous owner. My Golf can do 117 mph, and doesn't shake or rattle (apart from the passenger).

I did have a test drive with the Golf. The dealer principle
did a pretty interesting demo, put one wheel in the dirt,
the other one on the sealed road, at highway speed,
jammed his foot on the brake as hard as he could and
didnt have any hands on the wheel. Pretty impressive.

The beetle only has one opening window on each side and in
summer the bugger used to slobber down the back of my neck.

That's one reason I never got a dog. That and having to walk it.

I walk anyway.

And the ****.

I used to just mow it, can be quite spectacular when the dog lives
on dried dog food, quite a bit neveer gets digested and goes right thru.

URGH!!! Didn't that stink?

Nar, with 10 days over 40C and 5% humidity it
damned near dries out before it hits the ground.

Dont bother to mow anymore, the jungle is only waist high, nothing to worry about.

The natural look?

Yep, bugger the neighbours.

Corse it was a bit of a problem when I wanted to grow vegys.

Kikuyu is basically african jungle pretending to be grass.

The Golf fixed that, he got his own window and its got a heater
that allows him to have his way even in the depths of winter.

The heater is powerful enough to keep you at 30C while the window is open?

Didnt bother to measure, certainly warm enough so he was free to do what he wanted.

Corse he was such a massive great dog across the chest that there wasnt actually a huge amount of open window even
with it wound right down.

ROFL!

Thats another very common misapprehension. Its just
basic physics that you lose significantly less at the house
lower temps, because loss is entirely determined by the
temperature differential all other factors kept constant.

I know. But if it's 0C outside, and the house cools from 20C to 17C, then it still has a similar difference.

You still save by turning it off when you arent there.

Not by much at all. 20C minus 0C is pretty much equal to 17C minus 0C.

I dont buy the 17.

What?

You deaf ?

And only a super insulated house will only drop
3C with it 0C outside if you are out all day.

It is well insulated. Double brick with foam insulation, double
galzing, and fibreglass in the attic with wooden flooring on top,
and boxes full of stuff on top of that.

Sure, but thats not super insulated.

If it really was super insulated, you wouldnt need a boiler.

There is no such thing as completely insulated.

I said super insulated, not completely insulated.

And cool rooms are completely insulated anyway.

If you do have a super insulated house, you dont need a boiler.

It cools until it eventually approaches the outdoor temperature of 0C,

Not if its super insulated and there are people living in it.

But we were talking about when people are out.

Then even a 100W bulb will do fine.