James W

Default Plasterboard thickness for ceilings

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"James W" wrote in message
om...
I have plasterboarded my ceiling with the 4 or 5 mm stuff. It is
screwed onto battons I had attached to the existing ceiling. It is
fine in most places, however at its worst parts you can push it in and
it bends in. Will I need to redo the whole thing with the thicker
plasterboard? Or will the skim coat a plasterer will apply be OK? The
ceiling is fairly high and in a bedroom so I dont expect many people
to be pushing and prodding it.

Thanks in advance

James

Wow !!! 4 or 5 mm thick ? You've been duped. That's not plaster board,
it's thick wall paper. The most common today is 12 mm thick, and for a
ceiling to be fire retardant if it has a dwelling above, it needs two

layers
of the stuff.

Why did you put battens across the joists ? The plaster board would have
been easier fixed to the joists themselves with noggins (dwangs) put in
between the joists at the ends of board.

Sorry to say but, to me it sounds as though it is all wrong and needs

doing
again properly.

I knew I had it somewhe

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy/webpages/247.htm

This shows an older method of fixing with wide head nails, but today you can
get drylining screws and a drill bit attachment that does the job in half
the time. Hire one.

http://www.artex-rawlplug.com/immediacy-772

It is also advisable to have someone hold the other end of the board while
you make the fixings or make a brace from a long enough length of timber
with a wide cross member on the top to jam under the board at one end while
you do the fixing at the other.

http://www.slbm.co.uk/tools.htm

As I said in my first reply. If there is a dwelling above you, then you
need to fix two layers of 9 mm board to make it fire retardant enough for
them to be able to escape from danger when they've just woken up out of a
sleep.

http://www.buildingcontrol.org/bcuk/advice/fire.asp

http://www.jsengineeringdesign.co.uk/buildreg.htm

So good luck with it, and I you don't have to much hassle with it.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

I have just measured up again and it is 9mm!! Stop laughing at me, it
was late and I was tired :-)

So, will this be OK to skim plaster?