Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Joel[_2_] Michael Joel[_2_] is offline

Default O/T: computer question

wrote:
I just got a new laptop, delivered today. One big problem; the box
was crushed. The monkey men of UPS did their best impression of the
old Samsonite commercial and really mashed it.

(NO advice needed on how to proceed with a claim, informing the
shipper, documentation for the vendor, damage claim number
assignments, photographic evidence, etc.)

I am really concerned that this machine could have been damaged,
although it seems to be performing OK. I have a 72 hour window in
which the vendor will send out a new one without charging my account
as an emergency replacement if I need one.

I am looking for a program like the old "Burn In" and "PC Test" that
we used to use that is for Windows 7. Those programs tested all
memory sectors, HD sectors, and did hours of read/write exercises,
cache filling and dumping and CPU tests. You wound up the programs
and let them go, and a few hours later you had your results.

I can't find anything like that for Windows 7, and want to test ALL
aspects of this machine within my "emergency replacement" time frame
window.

Anyone have any suggestions? A program that you have personal
experience with or know someone that has used it successfully?

Thanks -

Robert

Are you sure the apps you mention do not function on win 7. Just because
it isn't listed for it doesn't mean it wont run.

Another option is to just have the computer do some very processing
heavy app (like a high spec 3d game or something). Have it keep running
through so that it is really working hard.

Keep that up for 48 hours (or whatever you want - but 24+). If it is
still running and working then I doubt there is anything happened. I did
find a "test" for Ram once - I would download and download and almost
every time the file was messed up - turned out my ram had gone bad. It
was still allowing the system to run but data was corrupted.

If it is running and not crashing - sounds like it is fine.

--

Michael Joel

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes,
His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen,
being understood through what has been made,
so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God,
they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became
futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
- Romans 1:20-21 (NASB)

parksfamily2 ------ ---- --- gmail ----- ----- com
replace dashes with correct symbols