Posted to uk.d-i-y
Windmill[_3_] Windmill[_3_] is offline

Default DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi?

Jules Richardson writes:

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:09:32 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Since the Raspberry Pi will be with us soon-ish (well, about six weeks I
am told, for mine) does anyone have any interesting ideas about what
they might do with it/them?

It's still boggling my brain how many people seem to have bought one and
have absolutely no clue what they're actually going to do with it. Was
the marketing hype really *that* good?

I saw no marketing, unless you call a basic description 'marketing'.
What appealed to me was that it was very low power (3 to 5 watts IIRC),
low cost, clearly had considerable capabilities (not for Windows users,
of course, but there are flavours of Linux which can do a lot at a
reasonable speed without needing 3.5GHz quad-core CPUs and a 500 watt
PSU), and would be expandable via USB interfaces to modems, serial
ports, parallel ports, sound interfaces, etc...........

Not for those who want everything ready-made perhaps, but an ideal DIY
device. What _couldn't_ you do with it?
It could certainly be programmed to make your breakfast, control a
vacuuming robot, and make love to you after a breakup.
I'm not even sure I'm joking! But maybe the notion was suggested to me
by the apple (not raspberry) pie incident involving a teenager which
featured in a certain DVD :-)

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m