Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default DC motor problems

On Mar 6, 5:01*pm, Baron wrote:
Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

Baron wrote:

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

* *A lot of those motors had the air flow over the commutator, and
* *it
would get dirt or sand in it when people didn't put the bag in
right,
or would use it till the bag was full, and ripped. *I wasn't
working
would use it till the bag was full, and ripped. *I wasn't working
on the vacuums, just the motors so the only parts I saw were new
bushes &
bearings. *A neighbor was in the used vacuum cleaner business and
would give me half a van load of bad motors at a time, then buy
back any that I fixed.

That sounds like a nice little earner. *;-)

* *$10 to $20 for common motors, and $50 for Rainbow/Rexaire. *He
* *would stop by in a panic, telling me what he needed. *I'd tell him
* *to give me an hour to dig through my good motors and would try to
* *find one. *Then i would dig out what he needed, and fix it. *A lot
* *had dmagaed fans from metal or glass being picked up, so it was a
* *five minute job to remove them and a set of good ones from a burnt
* *out motor, polish the armature and put it all together. *then the
* *scrap metal went into bins for the scrapyard. *I got really good
* *with a wood chisel & various punches to remove the copper from the
* *old motors. *The segments were easy to remove, with a pipe wrench.
* *Clamp the armature in a vise, and give a twist with the wrench. *it
* *was kind of like taking corn off a cob. ;-)

* *Sometimes I would strip 100 bad motors at a time, for the good
* *parts just to make room.

A very profitable exercise nowadays with the price of copper being so
high. *I just wish the thieves would stop stealing the iron grates and
aluminum road signs. *A whole load of them have vanished overnight.
Not to mention the theft of copper wiring from the railway system.

Next door neighbor came round today and asked if I knew that water from
the kitchen sink was pouring out of the wall and onto the yard !!! *The
swine had pinched the two meters of lead drain pipe between the wall
and grate,

--
Best Regards:

THAT'S SHOCKING ! FREAKING SCAVENGERS.