Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grumpy Grumpy is offline

Default Eason ES-8

Does anybody here have any experience with the Eason ES-8 DRO?
We have one on a lathe in the museum workshop where I volunteer restoring
old machinery such as steam traction engines and similar stuff. We have a
relatively new(18 months) lathe with the Eason DRO on it. I'm having a bit
of trouble with it and, as I'm not to familiar with DRO's, don't know
whether I'm expecting too much from it or if there is something wrong with
it. I take an initial cut with the lathe, then measure the diameter of the
work and set it into the DRO and hit enter. I then put the next cut and turn
on the motor. The reading immediately changes and dances around by a few
hundreds of a millemeter or thou. After taking the cut on the work, I
measure it and find that it is off by as much as 7 hundredths of a
millimeter from what the DRO says it should be.

Am I doing something wrong, is ther a fault in the DRO, or am I just
expecting too much from what is a relatively cheap devise?

Any ideas would be appreciated.