Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Re-aligning door

On 3/6/2012 1:56 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:
My front door has shifted

Facing out, the hinges are on the right, doorknob on the left
Top left corner of door has shifted
down by about 1/8"
and in by about 1/8"

This means that I need to lift on the doorknow to get it to latch
I also have a small crack open to the cold along the upper edge at the
upper left corner.

In effect the upper left corner needs to be moved up and outward to get
proper closure with no leaks

What are my options for correcting this problem
And how do I go about figuring out what the right solution(s) may be

Tnx.

I suspect that you have lost the swage in the top and center hinge as
these take most of the load of the door. The most simple thing to try
would be to take off the bottom hinge and swap it for the top hinge.
This might be a total fix for your problem.

The other thing to do would be to re-bend the top swage in the top
hinge. I would take an adjustable wrench (Crescent wrench). Fit it as
tight as possible on the top hinge barrel and carefully bend the barrel
toward the hinge side of the door. Do this same adjustment to the
center hinge. This should last many years.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven