Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default What to do with poor quality cabinets

wrote:
On Mar 6, 3:26 pm, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
wrote:
If the cabinets are defective, then the cabinets are
defective regardless of who installed them.

Errrrrr - Wrong. Properly made cabinets can indeed deform if hung
inproperly. So where does this "regardless of who installed them"
thing come from?

Look, let's take this in context. Another poster, Clare, claimed
that only if the cabinet company who made the cabinets installed
them does the OP have recourse. In response to that I said
that if the cabinets are defective, then the cabinets are defective
regardless of who installed them. Meaning if they were
defective before being installed, then the OP had a legitimate
claim against the cabinet supplier. Now if they were installed
by someone else, I agree that complicates the case.

My bad - I misunderstood the intent of your statement. I trust you'll
simply be more careful next time. I don't like getting embarassed like
this...

Yes, some
of the defects he has could possibly be blamed on
installation,

Ok - great contradiction of you first statement.

No contradiction at all. I never said all the alleged defects
were or were not the fault of who made them. Only that
just because someone other than the company who made
them installed them does not mean the OP has no
recourse, which was what Clare stated.

See apology above - but please do work on being more careful next time...

but handles at the wrong height,

Not stated by the OP

"handles not at the same height"

nitpicking now are we?

Me? Hell no - I don't do that. Read the archives - I'm the **** stirrer...

incorrect
hinge mortising,

Not stated by the OP

He stated:

"poorly mortised hinges (sloppy and
hinges are not flush with the wood), "

more nitpicking

Ok - so maybe you're right. Geeze...

It's not a could. To prevail in court it's a fact that you don't
need to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.

For some things but not for all things. Fortunately - I haven't spent a lot
of time in court over my lifetime, but my limited experiences in this kind
of thing make me understand that it is more than reasonable doubt for this
kind of dispute.

Yup. But - the OP does not indicate if that was the case. Still lots
of unanswered questions.

So, why are you jumping all over me and nitpicking
apart minor differences in words?

Sorry - was not jumping all over you. Certainly was not trying to nitpick.
Remember - I'm the **** stirrer, not the nitpicker. Others do that here.
Sheese - get it straight, will ya?

And that of course is pure BS. There are plenty of people
who get surprised by lawyers bills, just as they get surprised
by mechanics or tradesmen.

But only because they set themselves up for that. These things are easily
discussed with a lawyer and equally easily understood - if one takes the
time to do so.

In the case of lawyers, it can
be even worse because they frequently bill by the hour.
Are you there to watch how long that phone call really took?
Or if it was necessary? Or how long he spent reviewing
the documents you gave him? Good grief. There are
plenty of lawyers that pad bills, run the clock and there
are some that are outright crooks.

No contest on those points. Maybe I'm spoiled because I have a good,
reliable lawyer (actually a couple), that I can count on and that will be
upfront with me. There are never any surprises. If things are changing as
something unfolds, we talk more. I can't imagine not dealing with a lawyer
in that manner. Maybe other people do it differently.

I'll give you one recent small example. A friend had a closing
on a house. He called up several lawyers and got quotes.
The one he selected quoted $1100 for her services.
Half way through the
process in the course of a discussion, she said "My paralegal
is drawing up that... BTW, you're paying extra for her time."
Now that is a good example of how a lawyer
can screw you. You'd expect to pay for title work, FedEx,
etc. But the paralegal that is doing the work you already
paid an attorney for? Totally unethical.

Agreed. But - that's the kind of thing that should have been discussed and
understood upfront. Lawyers always charge by the minute (or less), and are
well known for their ability to create fees. One has to gain agreement with
them upfront. I can understand the surprise of someone who gets caught by
this the first time, but my point is only that it is avoidable. I never
encounter that kind of surprise. I never pay any extra for the efforts of a
paralegal. Your friend's story is almost appalling, but as harsh as it
sounds (unintentionally...), I'll be that friend does business differently
when he needs a lawyer again. Guess we all go through that kind of learning
experience.

--

-Mike-