Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Don't try this at home! (Drying out drowned electronics)

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
Frank wrote:

Best advice I know for drying such things is to towel dry and put in a
plastic bag with rice to absorb the water. May take a couple of days
but will not harm anything. I recovered a wet cell phone this way.

Actually the best bet often is to use those things in medicines or
electronics. They work every bit as good as rice. My kid had her phone
go out about 6 months after it took at short bath. She was getting a new
one until the tech found a piece of rice inside the case (g).

My friend nearly got himself a new phone, too, but waited a bit too long and
black mold rings appeared behind the lens of his OLED screen. It still
works for phone calls but you have to scroll lists pasts the black spots to
read anything.

It's time for my John Madden joke. He's at a urinal when a quarter tumbles
out of his pocket and into the soup. He looks around for a while, opens his
wallet, takes out a $50 bill and throws it into the urinal too. His buddy
says in astonishment, "Why did you do that?" and Madden replies "You don't
think I'm going in there for just a quarter?!!"

--
Bobby G.