Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Don't try this at home! (Drying out drowned electronics)

On 2012-03-06, Robert Green wrote:

circumstances. Now I'll be more careful and respectful of my air
compressor.

That's why pressure is measured, "per square inch", or whatever
measuring standard yer using. Even normal atmospheric air pressure is
14.7 psi, which is why if you pull a vacuum on a 1 gal metal can,
atospheric pressure, alone, will crush it like a grape. Was that
wallwart 2"x2"? That's 4 sq in. Times 50psi air pressure? That's
200 lbs of pressure exerted on that cheap plastic bottom plate. Is it
any wonder it blew off?!

Ironically, no transformer/wall wart ever came apart more cleanly. I would
normally have had to Dremel it apart and that would have made a hell of a
mess and would have required taping back together. A few drops of
solvent-weld glue and this baby will go back together with almost no
evidence it had ever been "blown open." In fact the jagged(!) seam edges it
left fit together like a jig saw puzzle piece.

A little dab of hot melt glue in the access hole and I'll be good to go.
Next time I do this, it will be with the unit mounted in a vise inside a
containment vessel of some sort, i.e. a heavy Tyvek envelope or similar.
Probably another case where St. Peter will explain to me "nearly put an eye
out then!" along with all the other near-misses of my life. With my luck,
the next one won't break cleanly along the seam, but into a million shards,
but it will be in a vise and a bag, not in my hand.

--
Bobby G.