Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default paper shredder repair?

On 06/03/2012 08:37, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I think someone has posted a link here in the past for a supplier of
cogs for paper shredders. Can anyone tell me the link please?

I have a Fellowes paper shredder. It claims to shred eight pages at a
time but is only managing two. I looked inside and the cogs are
plastic and one has a split in it. I am hoping changing the cog might
fix the problem.

If not, I will replace the shredder. I must have had it six or seven
years and although it is only used for domestic use, it is beginning
to show its age: some bits of plastic have started falling off but
nothing that exposes the blades and endangers the user.

Has anyone ordered any of the cheap shredders (£20ish) from CPC? I
wondered how good they were as a replacement?

One grumble is that we ought to shred junk mail as we receive it but
we tend to let it accumulate and then shred the night before the bin
men are due. Although we are not shredding mountains of paper, the
overheat cutout always seems to stop us halfway through. I am
surprised how quickly this operates. Are all shredders so quick to do
this?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I tried to get some replacement gears for a Fellowes shredder which was
2 or 3 years old, and had no joy. Fellowes only provide spares for large
industrial-type shredders. For the domestic ones, if they fail within
the 12-month warranty period, they replace them - otherwise, hard luck!
There were some gears available on Ebay for some models - but *not* for
mine.

The thing that really buggers shredders is if you let the shreddings
build up without emptying it. Shreddings then get drawn in from the
bottom, as well as the new paper from the top - and the whole thing jams
and strips its gears.

We bought a replacement shredder from Lidl (branded "United Office")
when they were on offer at about £25 nine months ago, and that seems
quite good - as long as you empty it often enough!
--
Cheers,
Roger