Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Don't try this at home! (Drying out drowned electronics)

Last night, I discovered that a wall wart for a wireless security cam had
fallen into a tub of water.

It drowned because it was plugged into an outlet strip attached to the
bottom of a basement joist and it became loose from the vibration of the
washing machine nearby. It did an amazing Tarzan swing into the sink three
feet away when it fell so I knew it was only wet, not "hot wet." I figured
with a simple power supply caught quickly, there shouldn't be much damage.
I tried using compressed air to blow out the water via the little space
around the plug blades. A little H20 came out of the strain relief in a
spray. But there was plenty of water still inside. It felt like about 1/4"
of the unit was now filled with it.

The case looked like it was "welded" - there were no screws and the seam was
very tight. So I drilled an 3/16" hole in the top of the case to blow air
into, thinking that would force it out the tiny space around the plug blades
and the cord strain relief.

I pressed the conical rubber tip of my air compressor to the hole and fired
away. The next thing I felt was like a hammer blow to my thumb which was
holding the small power supply. The blast of air had literally blown the
bottom of the supply "clean off." Well, it wasn't clean - every plastic tab
that held the lid on cracked. Beware the power of compressed air. It
probably could have been much worse and I wasn't even wearing my face
shield. (-: At least now I know how to take the other identical power
supplies apart because I know where the secret tabs are.

I suppose I should have realized a device that can operate hammers, saws,
nailers, etc. could develop explosive compression under the right
circumstances. Now I'll be more careful and respectful of my air
compressor.

--
Bobby G.