Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Forward Gears

Sounds like a case of ingenuity overcoming adversity. Go for it.

Or you could put a servo or stepper motor on it. Then you got a CNC
4rth axis. I set mine up that way.

Karl

When I mounted the chuck on the table it was my intention to convert it to
CNC eventually. Both of my little machine controllers have an unused 4th
port. Its would just be a matter of making a mount and adding a motor. The
problem I see is that the drive screw for this rotary table has too much
back lash in it. I have not looked yet to see if there is anything I can do
about it, but I was thinking it might be easier to just make a spindle for a
4th axis. I was thinking I would like something with a much bigger bore
than the average lathe spindle or rotary table. If I keep it under 3000 RPM
there are some pretty big bore bearings out there.

You might look at my route. I have a servo mounted on an AL plate.
Most of the time its bolted to my knee and I run the 4 axis
configuration where height tool offsets are done automatically.

Then I unbolt the servo and bolt it to the table. Put my dividing head
(with considerable backlash) on beside it with a pulley between. Then
I load "CNC with 4rth axis" into the control. I do have to crank the
knee table by hand.

I do have a nice 5C collet fixture with nice heavy duty bearings. if
the need arises, I'll mount a huge toothed belt pulley to it and
write, "CNC control with lathe".

You get the idea.

Karl