Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi?

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Just as it was IBM in a previous generation.

And realised what became the key understanding of the IT boom. The
quality of the product is irrelevant: the key thing is to target the
decision makers with enough FUD and gear the product marketing to
their perceptions.

Hmmm, why does this sound familiar? Windfarms, anyone?

Exactly. Its well known formula in marketing. You dont sell to the end
user,. you sell to the local authority in charge of the budget, and what
matters is not a result for the end user, but a result for the decisions
maker and his career path.

So, food eaten by men is targeted at the women who do the shopping.
Windpower is sold to politicians, not power companies, on the basis that
they will win votes and look modern, and so the whole spiel is about
'climate change' 'green jobs' 'and free energy' and not about 'lowest
cost lowest carbon' which is what WE want.

What percentage of engineers - who know about engineering - favour
nuclear power. about 60% with male engineers favouring it much more than
female.

Who favours renewables? public sector droids who know nothing about
electricity but a lot about politics.

Worm Perfect wasn't the greatest thing, but boy its was beter than
bloody Word.

The first time I saw that paperclip I had to rush to the toilet.

And then when it decided what I wanted to type before I had typed it -
wrong - I had a screaming fit till someone told me that with a degree
from Microsoft, you could actually discover how to turn it all off.

Frankly if all I had was wordstar on CP/M it would be enough for 99% of
my writing needs.

I shudder to think how many lines of code I have written with just 'vi'

....that being the editor you could always rely on being there.

and how hard it is to achieve it.