Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 11:22:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Makes a good ON AIR RX with a dongle tho. Has it got sound?
Yes, little point in having HDMI and the abilty to process
information fast enough to produce HDTV signals with out sound...

Except you need a [more expensive than a TV] monitor..
I don't follow what you are saying there. Why do you need a

monitor?
A Pi has HDMI out just plug it into a telly and get both pictures

and
sound.

Sorry? If you already have a telly you can already get all the off air
radio without the Pi.

Yes, but our telly draws about 300W. It does have a "radio mode" that
is supposed to power the (plasma) screen down but I'm not convinced
how far down, it springs back to life PDQ from "radio mode".

A Pi with DSAT/DTTV dongle and set of small PC speakers would draw
watt? Probably less than 10W.

I cant see the point since the telly has it all already off freeview.

No Freeview here yet, scheduled for September.

WHAT??

WTF are you?

since they are switching OFF the analogue stations, by implication you
must have had it for some years?

No analogue will be left by te end of te year..so you MUST have freeview
already at least for the Beeeb muxes.

and how hard it is to achieve it.