Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default paper shredder repair?

The Bush seems to go for about half an hour before it cuts out.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Paul D Smith" wrote in message
"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I think someone has posted a link here in the past for a supplier of
cogs for paper shredders. Can anyone tell me the link please?

I have a Fellowes paper shredder. It claims to shred eight pages at a
time but is only managing two. I looked inside and the cogs are
plastic and one has a split in it. I am hoping changing the cog might
fix the problem.

I believe the max limit of most shredders is for paper the thickness of
gold leaf. Even my Swordfish shredder doesn't get close to the claimed
number of sheets.

If not, I will replace the shredder. I must have had it six or seven
years and although it is only used for domestic use, it is beginning
to show its age: some bits of plastic have started falling off but
nothing that exposes the blades and endangers the user.

Sounds like it's end-of-life.

Has anyone ordered any of the cheap shredders (£20ish) from CPC? I
wondered how good they were as a replacement?

One grumble is that we ought to shred junk mail as we receive it but
we tend to let it accumulate and then shred the night before the bin
men are due. Although we are not shredding mountains of paper, the
overheat cutout always seems to stop us halfway through. I am
surprised how quickly this operates. Are all shredders so quick to do
this?

My swordfish claims about 30 minutes usage but I tend to run for 10
minutes, leave for 10 to recover and then start again. BTW if you have a
compost bin, the shreddings can go in their and they rot down quite
nicely. Avoids the "big rush for bin day".

Paul DS.