Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default DC motor problems

Baron wrote:

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

A lot of those motors had the air flow over the commutator, and it
would get dirt or sand in it when people didn't put the bag in right,
or would use it till the bag was full, and ripped. I wasn't working
would use it till the bag was full, and ripped. I wasn't working on
the vacuums, just the motors so the only parts I saw were new bushes &
bearings. A neighbor was in the used vacuum cleaner business and
would give me half a van load of bad motors at a time, then buy back
any that I fixed.

That sounds like a nice little earner. ;-)

$10 to $20 for common motors, and $50 for Rainbow/Rexaire. He would
stop by in a panic, telling me what he needed. I'd tell him to give me
an hour to dig through my good motors and would try to find one. Then i
would dig out what he needed, and fix it. A lot had dmagaed fans from
metal or glass being picked up, so it was a five minute job to remove
them and a set of good ones from a burnt out motor, polish the armature
and put it all together. then the scrap metal went into bins for the
scrapyard. I got really good with a wood chisel & various punches to
remove the copper from the old motors. The segments were easy to
remove, with a pipe wrench. Clamp the armature in a vise, and give a
twist with the wrench. it was kind of like taking corn off a cob. ;-)

Sometimes I would strip 100 bad motors at a time, for the good parts
just to make room.