Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Default New Proxxon lathe question #3

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 10:08:43 -0800, wrote:

Shop around for the best price on the AXA toolpost. The quick change
toolpost is a big time saver, meaning more time spent making chips.
It's also easier to use which means less aggravation, which saves
time, time you can spend making chips. When you do get the AXA size
toolpost, make sure to get the wedge type instead of the piston type.
The wedge type repeats better. At least in my experience they do. I
make my living as a machinist. Have been doing so for the last 35
years or so. My opinion is that if you can afford it buy the tools
which will enable you to cut metal the fastest. After you have some
experience you can decide if making your own toolpost for special work
is something you want to do. In the meantime you can learn about
turning, facing, boring, threading, and parting off while you make
your lens parts. You will be using, most likely, a turning/facing
tool, a boring bar, internal threading tool, external threading tool,
and a part off blade. That's 5 tools used to make one part. Get those
tools set and then it is much easier and faster to make your lens
parts. And since the tools are each in a separate, quickly changed
tool holder, you only need to set each tool once.
Eric

Would an AXA toolpost fit on a Proxxon lathe? It looks way too big...

Bob