Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Grundig AM/FM portable "Transistor 305" troubleshooting

On Mar 5, 11:18*am, amdx wrote:
The strange thing is that when powering this radio up again after a
shut down, the time it remains on before it quits once again is
directly proportional to the time that it has been off. For instance
if you leave it off overnight it might remain on for a half hour or so
the next morning before it quits again. Recently after trying it again
after months of it sitting idle it played for about 3 hours before it
quit. Then five minutes later when trying it again it quit almost
immediately. The few other electrolytics in the affected areas check
good on ESR and bridging them during dead time yielded no improvement
either. I have the schematic and I have uploaded it to the site listed
below.

* *I have found a lot of intermittent problems with a can of freeze mist,
hair dryer and the tip of a soldering iron.
* The first thing I would try is heating it with a hair dryer to see if
I could get it to go intermittent. If it does then go to your suspect
area and just barely dribble the freeze mist on, one part at a time.
It usually takes a fine touch on the freeze mist button to not
put out a big gush.
* Another thing to try; touch transistors with the tip of your soldering
iron to heat it up. Sometimes you can find an intermittent transistor
this way.
Radio Shack has freeze mist.
* * * * * * * Mikek

What he says is what I would do also