Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rockwell 6" bench grinder - anti-rotation pins

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I guess you've never properly installed a stone, or at least not noticed
what's what between the stone and flange washers!

If it had slipped, the paper washers would have been abraded.

(Paper what? You don't use them?)

And if it had slipped, then there's the potential for the stone's
becoming loose on the arbor, which could be dangerous.

Lloyd, you're not paying attention - I've been talking about the wheel &
flanges slipping together on the arbor. No relative motion between
them. A condition that you referred to: "... _I_ would rather have them
slip on the paper washer than to _slip on the shaft_ [my emphasis} --
if they ever slipped; which they have not" and which started this whole
exchange when I replied to it.

And yes, I do "properly" install stones with paper washers. Actually,
I've never thought that paper was enough of a cushion and I've always
cut my washers from thin cardboard (e.g., cereal boxes).

Also, apparently you didn't notice my "G" following my query about
whether you would know if it slipped. I.e., it was more a of rhetorical
question; I never intended it to provoke a debate leading to a snobbish
"I guess you've never properly installed ...".

Bob