Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default What to do with poor quality cabinets

On Mar 5, 9:19*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Our kitchen cabinets were built by a local cabinet maker. We live in a
Philadelphia suburb, the cabinet make lives in Bucks County. The
cabinets are of unacceptably poor quality. Examples include out-of-
square boxes, sloppy reveals, poorly mortised hinges (sloppy and
hinges are not flush with the wood), handles not at the same height,
gaps in joints, warped doors, damage in the finish, wobbly and crooked
drawers, tear outs in the veneer and many more.

We have obviously made a number of mistakes, the biggest being in
judgment of character and background checks. These mistakes led to
other mistakes, like paying the full amount when we were informed that
the cabinet maker ran out of money and wouldn't be able to continue
working on our project unless we paid. We were in a tough spot having
worked on the kitchen for three years and feeling the need to bring
this project to an end.

However, all of that is in the past. At this point, what recourse, if
any, do we have? Can one bring a law suit based on "low quality" -
that is, is the an objective measure of quality that the court could
base its decision on?

I would welcome any ideas on how to proceed. Or should we just
recognize that we made a $25k mistake and move on?

Many thanks in advance.

Sam

the person who made the cabinets may have no assets, so even if you
win you may lose.

how much did they cost? were the cabinets themselves 25 grand?