BigWallop

Default Loft insulation

"David Hearn" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

snipped
ventilated properly to prevent moisture from gathering and then dripping
through. So to seal the loft space to tight will mean you are actually
going to create more problems for yourself in the future.

So if I was boarding out 4" insulation, it may not be worth trying to add
extra insulation (which would require adding extra timber to give the
height, either cross or on top of existing joists) as it would seal the
joists off.

I doubt I'll board it out right to the edges (its pitched on 3 sides,

which
limits access, plus these sides tend to be in the middle of joist spans,
which would be weakest). At the edges then I can just lay extra

insulation
on top.

Thanks

But access to the edges doesn't have to be any thicker than the thickness of
the boards, because you'd slide the boards in to the edges of the space.
Then just fix them down where it is most convenient to do so. If you go
with a flooring grade chipboard system, then the tongue and groove around
the edges of the boards will be enough to hold them together in the short
distances you can't reach right under the eaves. So you'll still literally
be able to board the loft right out to the edges and make the space between
the ceiling and the new loft floor into a sealed unit with the existing
insulation still between it.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com