Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forward Gears

"Ecnerwal" wrote
With good programming, lash (at least consistent lash - and with
fancy
enough programming, I suppose arbitrary lash) is as little an issue
as
your ability to measure it - just tell the drive to compensate, and
have
some sort of homing routine so it has a known point to start
compensating from.

There's also the simple approach, which is to always rotate the same
direction - just as you were planning to do by hand. If you need to
be
CCW 1 degree, go CW 359 degrees (or vice versa)

The tooth at the top shows the effect of backlash:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...10370886636434

I made up a script of operations and tried to follow it exactly but
problems with the fussy import rotary table interrupted it. I forgot
to take up backlash by hand and tighten the clamp. The gear is 3/4"
thick and the damage is shallow.

jsw