Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ignator[_2_] ignator[_2_] is offline

Default Soft starter question

On Mar 4, 8:45*pm, "Oppie" wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 09:36:30 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:

If you are seeing/hearing "motor slamming" where you didnt before..it
means you have rotational wear in your drive/gear train. *Even with a
VFD..that wear will grow worse until its repaired. It will just grow
slower.

Yep, I already refurbished the motor shaft and bushings on the vari-drive
sheaves. That's now in good shape but wanted to minimize future wear due to
high starting torques.

This is a 230/460V motor that is currently wired for 230V (Delta). The 460V
connection would be a Wye iirc. How are VFDs typically wired to the motor?
Is it a three wire or six wire connection? This is all new to me.

Before you buy the VFD download the user manual. You'll find lots of
installation info. It's amazing how they have a general set of
discrete I/O that is programmable in it's usage. Look at the remote
start-stop programming. They generally support the 3 wire start stop
push button interface. But there are many others, and you may find
you have the switches in your "parts box". Also the remote
potentiometer has several options in some VFDs. Look at the
recommended ohms for this.
The VFD does provide a ground terminal, that you want to ensure is
connected to the motor and your mains earth connection.
Also I would recommend not attaching the VFD to the mill so the
vibration is not coupled to the electronics in the VFD. As you have a
variable speed belt drive, you probably won't make used of the VFD
programmable digital read out to have it display spindle RPM. But all
of the various ones I've used can have it display output current or
voltage. Also some VFDs have "autotune" where you disconnect the
load, and push it's panel buttons to have it acquire the motor's
electrical parameters. But this is not a required feature, as you can
key in most of the known parameters like HP. As you have 3phase
input, you don't need to oversize the VFD like you would if using
single phase input (generally this is an issue when using 1ph input
for motors larger then 3HP). Again the user manual will tell all.
There are some VFDs that sense 3PH input loss, and shut down. But of
the 5 brands I've used, none of them required this.
ignator