Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi?

chris French wrote:
In message , Rick
writes
On 04/03/2012 10:10 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:09:32 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Since the Raspberry Pi will be with us soon-ish (well, about six
weeks I
am told, for mine) does anyone have any interesting ideas about what
they might do with it/them?

I've heard of car computers, TV boxes, PBCes as ideas...

PBC = PBX

I remember a similar looking dev board that came out back around 1981
.. it had a built in Hexadecimal keypad... you do a whole days worth
of coding and get a stepper motor to revolve or a set of LED's chase a
traffic light sequence.
The issue was none of the students could be arsed to do this more than
once .... then would rather play with the Commodore pet.

I think that is the problem with Dev board approach, it provides so
little for your effort when you can instead just go use a PC and gui.

Though of course the Raspbery Pi can have a GUI,

or not. I have two servers here that are entirely headless..one is
actually physically here, teh other is a bit of a machine somewhere in
maidenhead. Not that I care, since I can NFS mount its drives, use
webmin to manage it or ssh, and apart from some speed issues, its
generally 'part of my setup' .

You only need ONE display and keyboard in a network of machines. Once
they are set up, anyway.

Stick a PI on my network, give me an hour to install Linux and set up
some logins, and then it will never need the screen and keyboard again.

Unless it failed to boot.

And a spare flash card would probably solve that.

I see intrepid geeks puting them in all sorts of things - I have a
hankering for a weather station. Or maybe a sound processing unit. Does
it come with a sound chip?

and how hard it is to achieve it.